PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US to Europe via Greenland in helicopter?
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 22:11
Aesir

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: US to Europe via Greenland in helicopter?

I have done atlantic crossings several times from Greenland to Europe and back. Though in twin IFR capable helicopters.

This is not a very suitable time to do the crossing in VFR helicopter. The day´s are very short and weather is very unreliable and unstable. I would recommned waiting until june.

However you can cross from New Foundland via Cape York, it´s short trip about 200Nm to Sisimiut Greenland if I remember right, then you can follow the coast via Nuuk (BGGH) to Narsassuaq (BGBW) and then the hard part begins.. the trip to Kulusuk BGKK is about 330Nm (from memory??) over absolutely uninhabited country where no one lives except polar bears. Before departure check and make sure that Avgas 100LL is available in BGKK, else it has to be flown in with F-50 from Iceland! VERY expensive! They may or may not have Avgas, do not trust AIP saying they have fuel you have to call the airport manager Benny Mouzinsky for verification.

Then from BGKK to Reykjavik BIRK you have about 360Nm trip over ice waters. The ocean closer to Iceland is usually ice free due to warm water currents, but where the Ice meets the ocean you´ll usually have a layer of fog which may extend up to 1000 or 2000´ or 10 to 20.000 feet, difficult to say, the met office can only give you a a wild guess, they don´t get much weather information for that area unless the fishing trawlers are in the area.

From Reykjavik you fly across Iceland to BIHN Hornafjordur to refuel, you will have no problem getting fuel in Iceland. From BIHN it´s off to Vagar EKVG Faroye Islands about 256 Nm then to Shetland Islands and then to Stavanger if you´re headed east for Russia.

My recommendation. DON´T DO IT! At least buy a better helicopter or wait until summer.