PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Contaminated Air
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 16:36
Dream Buster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Medical effects of contaminated air CONFIRMED

MOR,

I can assure you that if you fly the 146 every day for 5 or 6 days on the run you get a fairly good idea of the same smell every time and what might be responsible! I know that the smell originated from the APU air on the ground mostly and it really is quite difficult to get away from the smell if it's blasting out around you!

Obviously one could be sitting in this gas for 45 minutes before each take off. We did open windows and doors prior to taxiing but you then get cold, so I suppose we tended to just put up with the stink. So we were subjected to repeated doses of the same stink for years until somebody worked out that it might not be a good idea and very wisely, did something about it.

We felt rough after the stink - I don't know how you prove anything conclusively - especially this sort of thing but it seemed like quite a coincidence to me. You just associate a wretched headache and nausea with the awful atmosphere you have just been in.............

I don't think I was the only one who smelt it.

I am sure it would be possible to recreate the exact atmosphere by using the old type of oils and old type of APU, but I won't hold my breath for this to happen as the results would not be convenient to certain parties.

I am sure that if you volunteered to be a guinea pig for the trial, you would make a lot of people very happy.

It's a bit irritating when you can't just accept a few simple facts.