PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Choice
Thread: First Choice
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 14:07
Airbus Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Qu's about First Choice Airways

Rosters: Vary between some very stable months and some where you may as well throw the roster in the bin! However, there is a new Scheduling Agreement in place as of 1st Jan which should improve things, plus taking on quite a few new pilots. This should mean more stable rosters.

Hours, around 600-700 per year. As for how busy in winter, depends on base and fleet, some are still quite busy in winter, others are doing virtually nothing.
We send some pilots to Canada for the winter, so that can affect pilot numbers at specific bases.

Is it a rolling roster or is it issued monthly?
Monthly, new agreement says its issued around the 7th or 8th of the preceding month.

Can one request days off in advance, say by 6 weeks or so?
Yes. There is a maximum request of 3 days off per month and limits to weekend days per season.

What kind of routes does the FBW fleet fly?
In summer, the usual Spain/ Portugal, Canaries, Turkey, Cyprus, Greece, Sharm-el-Sheik etc., with a slight shift towards the longer flights.
In winter the ski flights - Turin, Innsbruck, etc., Canaries, Laplands, Cyprus and ad hocs.

Are there many opportunities for overnights at some destinations? Or home every night?
Usually home every night on short haul. Any nightstops usually are in the UK (unless you manage to break your aircraft really well!!!). Sometimes there are day stops abroad in winter, and the occasional ad hoc. You may also fly from another base when they are stuck, so if you like places like Bristol then you're in luck.

Bases: What are the bases for the A320/21 fleet?
LGW, MAN, STN, LTN, BRS, EMA I think - changes so often I can't keep track!

Leave: How many weeks is one allowed during winter/summer
37 days or 42 if taken all in winter. Summer is 1st May-30th Sept. Can take 16 days leave initially then another 4, so total 20, which equals 20 days leave. However, there are not enough leave lines so whether you get what you want is down to a complicated points system which has some seniority in it too.

Pension: Just a rough idea would be great so i can compare.

Money purchase, quite good.

Morale: How happy are you at First Choice? Is it a good company to work for? How would you compare to other UK Charter Companies (if your in a position to compare)?

I think most people consider the main company to be well run but aren't so sure about the airline. Morale is better than it was, we were not treated well after 9/11 and now there is a whole new pilot management structure, with non-pilots managing pilots. We are possibly the only airline to no longer have a post of Chief Pilot. I understand Britannia/ThomsonFly has better conditions and people have moved from FCA to them and to Monarch.