PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Saudi Arabia commits to Eurofighter Typhoon deal
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 12:25
Gainesy

Yes, Him

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Saudi Arabia commits to Eurofighter Typhoon deal

This is from a USAF F-15 chap on secondment to the RSAF:

Okay, here's a Saudi story from a guy who is currently flying with them, got it a couple weeks ago -
----------------
On the flying front, Saudi S-model crew has UTL A failure, decides to take cable. Lands well past cable (about the same distance as Seymour’s). Decides to stay on runway and take departure end. Never uses any braking (aero/emer/nothing) and takes dep end at nearly 120 knots. Drags it nearly past the overrun. Not a word spoken in jet for last 5 minutes of flight.

Saudi demonstration team lines up for 8-ship deployment (2+2+2+2 departure :15 second spacing). 1st two ship, uneventful. 2nd two ship, one gets airborne, one has problem, does way high speed abort, then punches out at end of runway. 3rd two ship decides 15 seconds is way too much and does about a 5 second spacing departure and high speed aborts behind wreckage (one more ejection apparently for mutual support). Last two ship again decides spacing too much and does high speed abort through wreckage. Remaining airborne 3 ship decides now to *land back on the single runway* to see how the bros are doing. FOD all quads. Demo team now grounded.

C-model starts/taxies/makes it through arming, with door 3R still propped open. Wingman finally notices while lining up for form T/O.

I finally got to fly last month. Second sortie (no-**** Blue vs Blue where the goal apparently is to keep aborting until Bingo) I say f**k this and press to merge. End up gunning the King’s son. In debrief he said my shot was not valid. I asked if he saw the tape. He says “No, but didn’t you here my terminate for gas call a minute earlier?” to which I replied “well, why were you still putting out flares then?”. He’s not happy with me.

------
Full thread (and some other interesting USAF stuff) is at:
http://www.dynamictruth.com/ubb/ulti.../t/003869.html