PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Instructor or Airline Pilot????
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 10:52
jerezflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying Instructor or Airline Pilot????

Happy New Year everyone:

I would like some good advice, educated guesses and opinions.

Let me set the scene briefly: 35 y/o (going on 36), married, one child, professionally qualified and in well paid employment as a project manager, PPL hopefully by the end of the month...........and a passion for flying since childhood and serious about a career change (if viable).

I have done very extensive research on becoming a professional pilot (courses, prices, requirements, pprune, etc.), and I believe I understand more or less how the complex world of flight training works.

The way I see it two paths are open for me:
1.Become a career instructor (cheaper, quicker and less risk)
2. Attempt to become airline F/O material (expensive, longer and more risk).

As far as the training goes, for path 1, I would go: CPL ground, CPL flight training and FI course. Maybe after a few years instructing do a single engine IR.

Path 2 would go, something like this: ATPL ground, ME/IR, CPL, MCC with perhaps an FI.

In terms of my situation, the job prospects for "mature" pilots and the relative merits, pros and cons of each choice - which way would you advise me to go? Is it best to stick to the safer option or dive straight into becoming an airline pilot at (almost) 36??

I have read all the previous threads on this subject, and they have been informative.

Thanks for any opinions.

jerezflyer