PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Contaminated Air
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 10:51
Dream Buster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Medical effects of contaminated air CONFIRMED

Gentlemen,

Can we agree some facts?

1. I think that everybody agrees that if you heat up certain engine oils and then allow people to breath those fumes, it cannot do their health any good and will probably result in abnormal effects? Y/N?

2. Certain people will be affected in different ways - my wife is always getting colds, whereas I never get one. That's the way it is with illness. Y/N?

3. As I have already said some time ago, I experienced these fumes for many years on the 146, particularly on the ground. That awful smell was NOT pure air it was contaminated air. Contaminated with oil fumes. I believe it did long term damage at the time causing fatigue, forgetfulness, headaches and confusion - not things one likes to admit to as an Airline Captain. Unfortunately many of the symptoms are still felt. Y/N?

4. It can also not be in doubt that BAe recognised there was a problem and I believe made some improvements about 5 years ago which have improved things but that also confirms that the fumes from years ago were an issue, did damage, it was recognised and something was done about it. A bit late for those who suffered the fumes for several years. Y/N?

5. Just lately (post BALPA confrence etc.) I have had to deal with certain AME's, GP's and experts in flight safety and was amazed and a little disappointed that none of them had even heard about the contaminated air problem. If these people don't know about it, what chance have we as a group of pilots got of getting the message across? Y/N?

By definition, certain interested parties are never going to admit any liability, obviously. It would just be helpful if certain facts could be established and made known to the wider Aviation community but clearly some people would have difficulty in admitting any of these facts - usually non pilots, which is a bit unhelpful and even dangerous when you consider the jobs they hold.........

Happy (fume free) New Year.