PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lost in Alcohol.....?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 02:40
brianh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lost in Alcohol.....?

LOC

I'll give you a slightly different perspective, having also found that solo in motel/hotel rooms is an incentive to consume alcohol.

I have gone into abstinence for a month or more several times when I felt I was over imbibing, and I have also known several alcoholics and seen the effect on their lives, marriages, and health.

However, it was 43 deg C here last Saturday and I enjoyed several beers at the end of the work day.

All things in moderation - same applies to alcohol. Plus over here they are dynamite on drink driving and I need my licence.

My aim is to limit the number of tipples per occasion, and the number of occasions. Saturday night is a "legitimate" beer o'clock as it is when we congregate.

As a control mechanism I keep an annual calendar (half page size) and monitor weekly my success rate in terms of percentage of days free of alcohol. I believe that is an excellent starting point.

I do not intend going cold turkey and I have the greatest respect for the willpower of those who do. But, if you find that is too severe an immediate step for you, try the calendar control method. Also, one alcohol, one water is a neat way of containing the alcohol intake in a sitting - and preventing the alcohol induced dehydration that can catch up next day.