PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - paying for flying training
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 02:28
griffinblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paying for flying training

It has been expressed on a number of occasions in this forum with some disdain about parents paying for flying training. The presumption, I guess, is that the beneficiaries of this generous gift haven’t earn’t it and thus don’t deserve it and probably won’t give the flying training a real go.

Without wanting to be excessively controversial, I take a contrary view. 20 years ago tertiary education was free, now it is not. By paying now, are students now any more deserving? Do they appreciate their degree more? Do thy work harder? Can you tell the students who pay themselves, have their parents pay or defer payments? I would suggest not. In the military you actually get payed to do the flying training, are they then least deserving and work less hard than your average punter who works 3 jobs scrapping enough money to get one lesson a week?

I think that if my kids wish to persue a civvy flying career, I would attempt to pay for their training up front. To not do this would disadvantage them in a number of ways. In all probability it would lengthen the time of training, and perhaps the cost. It would put undue stress on my kids. And lets face it other people get free flying training – scholarships and the military, why shouldn’t my kids?

I guess my only caveat would be that it couldn’t be done on a whim, but they would have to show aptitude and dedication.

Just my thoughts.