PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-737-600/700/800 Quick fixes
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 00:38
Aussie Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: B-737-600/700/800 Quick fixes

My biggest one:

CHECK THE CIRCUIT BREAKERS

How many times I've seen guys run out and start pulling the plane apart when in fact the CB was out. Most common are the ones the crew have hit when they're flinging their seatbelts around.

Another trick:
Window Heat - change the cord to the window before you change the window itself. Less rigging that way.

Good trick:
Stiff or notchy flight control column - put some lube in the base bearings of the control column. Chances are the grease has dried out a bit and needs a bit of help going liquid again. They're a precision sealed bearing so it's unlikely the bearing itself will have 'failed'. Some spray lube will give the grease a helping hand and she'll be flying good from there.

Fantastic trick:
MEL book. Don't take delays when you don't need to. But follow up and let people prepare to fix it. Order parts etc before the MEL expires.

THE BIG ONE:
Talk to the crews and vice versa. I've seen the remarkable difference in the way maintenance and the fleet runs when the pilots and the maintenance guys TALK. You're not enemies. If crews can hang back 5 mins and explain the more intricate PIREPS in the log the fix will be better and arrive sooner. Similarly, telling the crew you're doing your best and need more info/time/etc will see them work with you. A crew on your side will get to the problem WITH you - not despite you.

AP>