PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Metro Thread
Thread: Metro Thread
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 21:48
chief wiggum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Metro Thread

5yrs and several thousand hrs on type most in command. Never came across "unreliable" magna sticks. Anyone that can read knows that in the manual it states a discrepancy can exist
OK. Maybe I didn't phrase my initial post too well. However, it is one hell of a discrepancy (27USG). and whilst 27USG = 178lbs(and 356 total if x 2), and may NOT be the cause of the problem that let the aircraft run out of fuel, the other factors involved with the magna stick limitations, MAY prevent a magnastick check prior to flight ... ie uneven surface, or more than 2000(?)lbs onboard.

I also agree that a PROPER preflight inspection is vital... I have never suggested otherwise, BUT maybe the time constraints may have led to a slightly rushed preflight ? ... I do not know.
I do know that dropping the magna sticks, and calculating the fuel onboard, and all the associated work that goes with it, takes longer than 10 seconds!
Fuel verified by three methods? ABSOLUTELY.... and you can preach airmanship all you like, but I will bet that IF you have verified fuel by three means, AND the fuel guages have recently been recalibrated, then a magnastick would be the furtherest thing from your mind!

I'd have the effo drop them at every turnaround
.... Suuuuurrreeeee!