PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Three Dead....Another Night Bad Weather Flight Over Dark Terrain
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 21:42
McGowan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Three Dead....Another Night Bad Weather Flight Over Dark Terrain

This is sounding a lot like other threads on this subject.
Night VFR in a single engine machine, no SAS or auto pilot and single pilot is safe if you fly night VRF when there are night VFR conditions, it is definately not safe trying to fly night VFR when VFR conditions don't exist.
With a visible horizon and some moon about and recent experience very safe. I know the regulations don't require the horizon or moon, I do.
If you are working EMS you can say NO. If you are doing it privately or airwork, you can say no.
I have done EMS and I did say no on a number of occasions. No it didn't take balls, I was only looking out for myself. I have also been on a job and landed on route home because night VFR conditions were no longer available.
I have also been on a private job and when the boss was late, we stayed overnight because the weather didn't suit night flying. My theory is, if in doubt stay in bed.
I must admit that when doing EMS the Chief Pilot and Management never second guessed or questioned a weather related descision. And now I work for a private operator it is the same, they assume I'm looking out for their safety.
As a lot of experienced people on this forum have stated, the only way to enhance the safety of night VFR is goggles used properly, but with suitable night VFR conditions.
So it nearly always comes down to the fact the the Pilot has made a bad call. On this particular accident, lightening, rain, low cloud, being a coward, I would not have even got out of bed. Please don't take that last cooment as me talking ill of the dead, just my thoughts on the subject.