PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Rating advice!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 20:48
markflyer6580

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Night Rating advice!

I have got one solo left to finish my night rating so not hugely experienced but here are my views:
I enjoy it immensley,and contrary to what some people say its not dangerous,the engine is not aware that it is dark!

I found judging distance whilst in the air the hardest part,you can see a lot further at night,and hence that cluster of lights off the wing is actually a large town 30 miles away,when you are looking at the chart thinking"there are no towns there!"

I fly at a fairly large intl airport so there is a fine array of lights on the runway however even with just the PAPI's off i struggled to judge height/glidepath and ended up landing a long way down the runway first time!

I also found that as soon as landing light lit up runway enough that was the time to start the flare and let the runway meet me rather than fly in to it!
I'm sure everyone will have a different technique for that though and its probably no good with a short field.

It is an enjoyable rating with no exams etc and only 5 hours so I think everybody should do it even if it as an emergency get you home/to diversion aid.

Also you feel like a real pilot when all the lights are on