PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Transat is hiring pilots
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 20:30
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Air Transat is hiring pilots

gumbi

I get the impression Lindbergh767 is no longer in Canada and I certainly understand what he is saying and agree that, back in the day, that was pretty much the way it was. At what point does that fact change? Or, does TS keep the resentment (je me souviens) alive by placing this kind of advertising on their website?

-----

I wouldn't mind working for TS because I know it's a good cie to work for. That said, let me first apologize to CGTSN for going off in a direction I truly didn't want to go but it's the idea that TS would include Bilingual as a requirement for pilots. (???) That's their business, for sure. But, it only serves to eliminate a number of suitably qualified young men and women who might otherwise come to learn more about this province, it's culture, and language or whatever but that doesn't seem to be of concern to TS. It certainly isn't a concern for the Bloc or PQ. It also only serves to further reduce the pool of those pilots who might be available to TS. Whatever?

Let's think about this for a minute.

If you're a Fireman in Montreal, Blanc Sablon or Trois Riviere, it's probably a good idea if your Bilingual. In fact it is probably a good idea if you speak French and maybe a little bit hinglish, but, a pilot??? Are you joking?

The pot I AM trying to stir is 'thought'. Not revenge (the French vs English kind). Which really lights off the emotions. Specifically, the HR write up of the TS First Officer Requirements, which read:

"Canadian airline pilot's licence (not a Quebec airline Pilot's licence) or foreign licence validation "
"Canadian citizen (not a citizen of Quebec) or in the process of obtaining landed immigrant status in Canada (not Quebec)"
"Bilingual (French and English)" for a basing in Toronto.

When I read drivel like this, I read foreign pilots who can speak English and French preferred over Canadian pilots who speak only English (the official language of aviation despite Pauline Marois's opinion) in preference to foreign "licence validation".
You must be kidding!
How, in gawd's name, did ALPA ever buy into that??? (It's an american union. What do they know about Canada and the pilot situation up here?)
How did the Transat pilot's themselves ever buy into that?? (rhetorical question)

I can see bilingual as a "desired" or "preferred" criteria but not a requirement. What gets MY goat is the notion people would actually admit on a public forum they'd learn French to satisfy that REQUIREMENT. As a Quebecker, does that not disappoint you that someone would actually wait for a pilot job posting to actually reveal publicly their motivation for learning YOUR language is the possibility they might get a pilot position with your company??? From my perspective, you learn French because you realize two languages are better than one. N'est pas?