PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 18:38
NT42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary

Good luck with everything mazzy! Sounds very exciting!

I managed to get a flight in today. Needed a quick dual check before being sent off by myself so we did one circuit. It all was fine, apart from forgetting to level off at 1000 feet! Thus resulting in being downwind at 1200 feet! Never mind, other than that everything was ok!

I dropped my instructor off, and called for departure clearance. The plan was a short solo navigation exercise to the south of Newcastle. As soon as I was at circuit height I could see the VRP in the zone, which I was going to navigate from.

Once I got onto my heading and contacted radar, things settled down a little, and I had a quick chance to admire the view! This leg of the trip, to Barnard Castle, was fine. I reached my point when expected, and I did some estimation work (1/3 and a 5 mile thumb), just for practice really. And it worked!

Next leg was a little less standard. Pretty quickly I was off course, and because I wasn't farmiliar with the area there was a lot of frantic searching for something which didn't look like everything else in the area! There wasn't a lot, excpet a windfarm towards the coast, slightly north of where I needed to be. I set off in that direction, being careful not to bust a restricted zone, and steer clear of a parachute drop zone! Both of which I managed (after some zig-zagging!).

As soon as I was overhead Seaham Harbour I called for clearance to enter the zone and rejoin instructions. I was still pretty far away, but wanted to have everything done with plenty of time! I flew past Sunderland and the Stadium of Shi...I mean light, and I was quickly overhead 'the bridges' (VRP), and being told to join left base!

Newcastle airport sudenly became rather busy - lots of inbounds, helicopters buzzing around, lots of airliners waiting to depart, and what I can only assume was a training flight in which an airbus (I think) wanted to depart on the opposite runway to everyone else! But anyway, I was asked to orbit by tower, in present position, which luckily enough was overhead St James' Park - which was very nice! I was then told to proceed to left base, where I orbited for ages, until evuntually being cleared to finals!

At 500 feet on final, you'll be pleased to know I selected the third stage of flap! A nice flight was ended with a good landing.

A very good flight overall I think. First time where I've doubted my position a little, but I think I dealt with it fairly well. Total time 23 hours now, so half way there, at least that's the theory!!! Bring on my first landaway (which might be tomorrow!)

Thanks all, and good luck!