PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Three Dead....Another Night Bad Weather Flight Over Dark Terrain
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 17:37
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Three Dead....Another Night Bad Weather Flight Over Dark Terrain

As a parallel universe here in the UK, I'd say the glaring differences I've picked up between you and us (our accident rate in the EMS world is negligible), is:

1. EMS in this country doesnt get revenue for patients It's a charitable organisation and I believe because of this a magic ingredient is missing in UK Ops: PRESS ON ITIS. If U.S. ops managers run the unit on a profit basis, there will certainly be gross danger of this press on itis appearing in the equation.

2. CRM. This subject (even CRM for single pilot ops) is becoming a religion over here. ALL trng captains have to be CRM instructors soon. CRM is compulsory for all pilots.

3. Training. Most (not all) EMS pilots are ex mil which brings with it a wealth of guaranteed quality flying ability.

4. Most EMS operations are VFR only, day only. Those who do fly at night [must be twin pilot full IFR and IR pilots] utilise some or all of the onboard IFR suite.

I think you in the USA have reached the "tipping point" in EMS accidents listening to what your industry is doing about it lately...Hopefully this 'trend' is a thing of the past.