PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coastwatch/Surveillance Australia
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 16:16
Slipri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Coastwatch/Surveillance Australia

Surveillance is now the preferred tenderer for the Coastwatch contract! Rumour has it that Surveillance will be using only Dash-8's, smaller aircraft phased out. 10xDash-8's (7x200's and 3x300's) with no change to bases. 4 in Cairns, 3 in Darwin and 3 in Broome, with one of the Cairns ones spending most of it's time in Horn Island.

HID will see lots more of surveillance Dash-8's in the future, with CRW deploying from Cairns and overnighting on the Rock. So make way! where will it park?

Good time for those to start with Surveillance Australia as pilots or observers as the progression will be quite rapid onto the Dash-8 as all pilots on the Islander and 406 have to be given a go at the Dash-8 before the end of the current contract. If they don't succeed then will be given a wave good bye. If you are fortunate enough to get an interview make sure you practice your IF skills, I believe that is what they use the small sim in Adelaide for and could tend to be quite qicky, I haven't heard of them using the Dash-8 sim in Sydney over the last couple of years. Oh and be well dressed, they prefer a suit but you don't have to wear the Jacket and the Cheif Pilot does not like people chewing gum in the interview. It is an interview! Oh and I hear they like asking questions on Take off performance requirements etc.

I believe they will take direct entry First Officers on the Dash 8 if they have the requirements for Command so that they can be fast tracked. 6-12 months for a Command after Check to line (which would normally take up to 6 months to achieve) so that they can see a couple of good simulator proficiency checks and get you used to the Dash 8 and Surveillance proceedures.

Observers are on between 30-50k depending on Qualifications, Islander pilots are on about 40k, F406 on about 45k, Dash FO on about the mid 40's and Capt around the mid 70's. All + Allowances. Well that's what the Rumour is!

If there are any other Questions about Surveillance Australia and it's near future I'm sure that they will be able to be answered or cleared up by Operations Normal or Aerocat or someone else! The Cobham Australia Website is http://www.cobham.com.au/ has Surviellance Australia's requirements and it looks like the hard limit for Night Command hours are 70. Or just get redirected there from the Surveillance Australia website.

I wonder what other Rumours are out there about the contract? I hear Raytheon are still emailling people, and Pearl are poaching from Surveillance for back enders.

Good Luck to all trying to get in!
Now is probably a good time if they do win, but that's your call! even if they don't, you could possibly get a free Dash 8 enorsement out of it?

I believe Surveillance Australia has gone for the Malaysian Surviellance Contract and they are the prefered tenderer for that as well?

Till next time, Giddyup!

Last edited by Slipri; 3rd Jan 2006 at 06:15.