PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe a pilot! (And I'm too damn lazy to do a search)
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 15:43
wbryce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Advice to become a pilot

As many have said, the industry has changed since 9/11....so proper sponsorships are a thing of the past...the only proper sponsorship that I know off is the fugly one (air atlantique)....many sponsorships these days are ones where you sign a bond and pay your training fees back once employed as a pilot. Not really sponsorship imo.

When I was 18 (2yrs ago, so not long ago)...I was accepted into uni to do engineering but I decided not to go and continue working and pay for my flying training in a modular context, been doing it for 2 years now, and I predict in the next 2 years I should hopefully have completed my training...in the same time frame as my uni course would taken...and probably have the same amount of debt as I would have incurred at Uni.

I'm not saying dont go to uni, you should for the life time experience and education merits but I chose against it as the debt uni would bring after completion would only delay me further in my flying ambition.