PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chewing Gum
Thread: Chewing Gum
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 15:00
sixmilehighclub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Chewing Gum

Swallow it??? Are you crazy?? Its solid non-bio matter, your digestive system can't break it down!!

It is not permitted for a BA uniformed member of staff to chew gum in public.
Eating and drinking must be done discreetly if necessary. In their defense however, being up early, long days or not being able to drink at regular intervals can lead to a need to freshen the breath, and sometimes chewing gum can get into areas breath mints cannot. But as many have said, and I agree, it should not have made it into the public eye!

I used to be an in-charge crew member and if any of the team were chewing anything in front of a passenger, they'd be pulled to one side and reminded of the uniform code.

Also I used to carry a bottle of hand sanitizer at all times, and if a crew member had to refasten their hair during the service, sneezed or scratched their nose, I'd be there to ensure they'd either go wash their hands or use the sanitiser.

Health & Safety regulations suggest chewing gum is regarded as eating, and food handlers must not eat during the handling of food.

To some its a big deal to others its not. Clearly from this thread, some are bothered by it, therfore it proves there's a reason why uniform standards and codes are in place. Gum should not be chewed. Simple enough.

I'm off to brush my teeth again.