PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe a pilot! (And I'm too damn lazy to do a search)
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 14:36
adwjenk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Advice to become a pilot

Hey

I was in the same boat as you. Yet i decided to go straight into pilot training. Im currently 17 doing A-Levels, passed selection at my choosen intergrated school, and im set to start training end of July, when i will be 18 by just 28days.
I thought long and hard about uni but id spend 3 years of my life doing a course i enjoy but stil have the longing and earning to be sitting in that right hand seat!!
You wont have to start repaying your uni debts until your in employment, yet you will have to start to repay for training loan within 6 months of gaining your fATPL.
Also by starting 3 years later you will be 3 years behind on the seniority list for an airline which will mean 3 years longer to command and 3 years less experiance. But on the other hand you will still be young.
A degree will be a good backup, yet for me personaly the degree i would like to do, is highly speicilise in a field i would work in but it would not be my first choice.
Youve had a look at 2 schools in the UK, which do do part sponerships but you will still have to pay for the training. Also if you dont live up to there expecations you can be chopped.
If i where you id try OAT selection or Cabair or Jerez (which is currently free!!!!) or the GAPAN selection just to see if you have what it takes.

Best of luck any questions PM, the main decision is yours, its all down to you in the long run, you have to look at every angle because its proberly the biggest decison you will have to make and being young makes it that bit harder.

ADWJENK