PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Water Contamination
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 14:33
outhouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Water Contamination

Suspended water in fuel and operating in cold climates can it seems cause ice build up in airframe fuel filters as indicated above. I am not sure on the tec stuff? But I understand that parts per million water content (we used the Shell detector kit went green at 60 PPM) relating that to fuel burn rate and size if fuel/ice filter. The old 61 in cold climates could sometimes show a filter light if the filter was starting to block, this in cold weather was an indication of ice rather than fuel contamination (good fuel quality and handling procedures). As mentioned once the filter started to by-pass this allowed the ice crystals to reach the FCU inlet filter and this was when it became worrying as it could affect engine performance.
The later AS 332’s I think did away with ice filters and increased the size of the fuel filter bowl thus allowing a greater capacity for ice collection. Least that what the French chap on the refresher course seemed to imply. I am sure that the experts will be able to expand on the complicated theory stuff.
outhouse