PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - low temperature correction
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 08:22
take_that

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: low temperature correction

Following along from the original thread.

What is the correct RT when using temp correction?

For example if UK ATC clear you to descend to altitude 4000' on QNH .... What is the correct response if the temperature correction is 300'?

It is an important subject yet after spending 10 years flying around Scandinavia I have yet to hear someone actually correct for Temperature Error over the airwaves. In my experience the airlines that I flew with never corrected for Temperature, although it was written in the Ops Manual. Everyone was aware of it but no one actually did anything about it! Our check altitude at the marker would normally mention 'altitude high due temperature' and the initial brief would mention the fact that we would appear high at the marker due to temperature correction, but thats it.

The thing that really puzzles me is why I didn't hear the local airlines mention this in there replies to ATC. Quite a few winters would see the temperature on the ground fall to -20 degrees. You'd think that if any one would know the correct way of operating in these temps it would be the local national carriers?

From what I can see, there is no published procedure for Temperature Correction in CAP413.

The posters response above sounds like an excellent idea whereby ATC factor the correction into their calls. I'd not heard of this but no that in the places that I fly to the onus is on the pilots to make the correction.