PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turn onto xwind and final at 500' - why 500'?
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 01:04
Bula

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Turn onto xwind and final at 500' - why 500'?

Final at 500'... simple maths generally at the correct circuit spacing for a 3 degree approach when considering a stabilised approach..... now whether this can be placed in practise is a different question.

Consider rolling onto final a 1.5 nm from the threshold.. that places you on the 3 degree profile at around 450'. NOW.. all well and good for an aircraft travelling at 120kts in the ciruits as this final segment will be convered in less then a minute howvere for your typical C152 this appraoch is a bit long winded... approax 2 min for this final leg which is kinda rediculous. I mean there is such a thing as a stabilised approach and then there are redicously stabilised appraoched that become unstable because it takes to long at a slow speed.

Now final will actually be a little less then 1.5nm as you conder the threshold at 50' and 1000' markers for your touchdown zone BUT once again people teach the threshold when the 4th centerline marker is about 1000' and 50' over the threshold. BUT practicle for a short field... not really... but why would you be going there in the first place if you are worried your aircraft will not pull up in time? All you single drivers out there just remember that alot of the higher performance singles will not make the runway.. even the lower performance ones will not make the runway.. so consider your aircraft type when considering the runway as an option in training (i'll get crucified for that comment).

I dont agree with people trying to teach airline profiles to someone who will be flying a cropduster in GA for 2000 hours BUT when they come accross higher performance aircraft this will surely come in handy....

As for turning crosswind at 500 and not before.... why not?... especailly as a abinitio pilot. As for the more experienced guys complaining... just remember expereince is just as dangerous as inexperience in many accidents.