PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 747 Engine Fire
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2006, 19:51
RRAAMJET

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: BA 747 Engine Fire

Well done, BA crew...Rainboe, couldn't agree more with your earlier comments (I'm one of the few here in the US who agrees with the LAX BA continuing policy from a few months ago...let's face it - most BA crews know what the hell they're doing, and it shows.)

This incident is very similar to one that occured at Cathay when I was there:
the #1, I believe, went kaboom and burned on take-off from Kai Tak for FRA; the Capt and crew did an excellent turn-back in crummy wx to 31 at max weight with the motor still burning (Capt said to me in the bar he could see the glow reflected on his windshield post - no pressure, eh?). No dump, I recall, due fire. They had a body-gear fire on stopping and evac in record time...all-round well-done.

There must be piccies here somewhere on PPRUNE from that one. Capt's retired now, but his crew are still around posting on pprune - maybe they can comment on this BA crew's performance with authority, having been there themselves?

PS flown rollers for most of my 000's of hours - great engines. What a load of b*llox posted about build quality, reliability etc by previous amateur troller.