PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self-positioned ILS approach
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2006, 18:31
Flying Daggers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Self-positioned ILS approach

E.C. well, again I think there are a lot of legal aspects involved in that, like ATC's responsibility for the safe path, traffic separation, and correct positioning, if I'm right. Following the published appr./ radar vectors you follow a protected area/safe area and the responsibility bears with ATC. I haven't found the official definition for self positioning, so who is responsible for what? Finally coming to the MSA, does MSA include temporarily man maid obstacles? (which you usually find in the notams), I don't think so. Where do you start self positioning? Out of 30 nm or 15? Do you follow standard traffic pattern, basically as you would do a visual, or is that 5,7,9 nm? Do you proceed to base turn or join the down wind leg straight? Whereas the flight path (intermediate& final appr.) is the AT C's responsibility and will be kept clear according to the requirements. I have never been cleared for lower, than FINAL LAT G/S capture even if MSA is lower, unless being on LOC already. Its common practice in the eastern countries though, to clear you straight to the base turn and you basically just navigate on your own (self position) to that position, from which you start the approach following published pattern. Bear in mind that's a published procedure (traffic pattern with prescribed dimensions) with respective profile, meaning there are ALT and speeds prescribed and they are compulsory. Whereas in the west there aren't prescribed traffic pattern, except visual one. That's why you see people coming from 15 to 9,7,5 miles final sometimes too high too hot or what is even more dangerous too low. Its different story though.
Well that would be my approach to this issue,
Cheers.
P.S. Sorry for editing.

Last edited by Flying Daggers; 1st Jan 2006 at 18:57.