PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Metro Thread
Thread: Metro Thread
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2006, 08:47
Defenestrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magna sticks are NOT reliable, and have a PROVEN error of about 40USG. It takes about 15 mins to do, and most , if not ALL, operators would ONLY require that the crew do a magna stick only IF there was any doubt about the amount of fuel onboard.
IF the book matches with FUEL added + Fuel used + Fuel Guages + just re certified by engineers.... WHY would you do a magna stick ?
And with that Wiggum you've just proven to all and sundry that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Here's why.....

1. 5yrs and several thousand hrs on type most in command. Never came across "unreliable" magna sticks. Anyone that can read knows that in the manual it states a discrepancy can exist.
2. Takes less than 10 seconds to drop a single magna stick and take a reading. I make that 20 secs if you're reading both and thats at leisure. Could easily be done quicker in one was in a hurry.
3. Ops manual stated that fuel had to be verified via 3 methods. We operated a hell of a lot more of this type than the operater concerned and never, that's right, NEVER had any issues of fuel starvation.
4. If you don't know the reason why a magstick should be done as part and parcel of the pre-flight then you're a lost cause. I think the word you're looking for is AIRMANSHIP. Give it a try.

I've praised the crew for getting everyone safely on the ground. No-one is doubting that. It's the reason that this had to happen is the question I seek answers to. I'll refrain from further comment on this matter and wait for the final report.