PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grounded PA-31's????
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2002, 04:08
nasa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhhh gaunty the pen is indeed mightier than the sword, if used with guile and tact

I fear you misunderstand the point I’m trying to make……Without getting into our age old difference regarding financial institutions in Australia, it is indeed the cost factor that is the primary reason why operations in Australia do not operate Turbines as opposed to pistons…..Want proof, pick up the phone and ring any operator in Australia who currently uses pistons, but would like to use Turbines, and ask them why they don’t have turbines on line…..OK, so up the price you say, yeah that’s fine, but we do not have the population base here in Australia to justify such a price hike…..You need to have the bums wanting to get on the seats, to learn to fly, to get from point A to point B, and you need to be able to say, well stuff it, that guy didn’t show up, but there are another 280 million, not 18 million potential customers out there…..My favourite saying when it comes to comparing us with the US, there are more people in Orange County California then in Australia, there are more GA aircraft on Love Field Dallas then registered in Australia (slight exaggeration), the US and all it’s States can fit inside Australia…..As you well know, makes one hell of a difference when you have a quantity vying for your product.

Now to answer a few other points in your reply….Like you, I also want the punters out there to be aware of the real cost of operating Turbines, and not to fall for the old [quote] The US$150K overhaul cost of the -114A would be the average over three lives (15,000 hrs) and include the cost of HSI's, starter generators and replacement of rotating components.<hr></blockquote> sorry torres, but that’s a fallacy, and I don’t care how you cut it, it aint going to happen…..You may be able to cite one or two instances where it has, but I’ll cite you a dam sit more where it hasn’t…..As a point of interest, the examples I quoted in my previous thread, are experiences I’ve had personally over the past 5 or so years, and range from happening here in Australia, Malaysia, USA, Philippines, PNG etc etc…..A range of operations, climates, regulatory bodies, knuckle draggers etc etc…... . . .Your example of Qantas is a bit underdone…..I would assume that they would either negotiate an overhaul cost when purchasing the engines with their aircraft, at the least, they wouldn’t rely upon book figures as given by the engine manufacturers to organise their budget, of that I’m positive…..It’s amazing what buying power can do for you…..

It’s amazing really…..Here you are talking about 20 year old aircraft, particularly turbines, and yet, the 2001 C90B has –21’s in it….At least my 1971 KA 100 has –28’s and even you will agree that these are a far better engine than the –21’s…..

And in closing [quote] Sure as an operator go chance your hand in the wonderland of used in the US and around the world, chasing that "creampuff", but you'd better have someone around who really knows what they are about because you are right out there on your own AND surrounded by varmints I promise that you will sleep heaps better at night when you have the factory standing right behind you and your baby.<hr></blockquote> just as a matter of interest, when does a new aircraft from the factory, become a used aircraft, which in your opinion, we should all steer clear of?????