PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK
Thread: CORK
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2005, 14:52
Tom the Tenor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, in the absense of enough cash to fund supports for new routes Cork had better make a New Year's resolution to hold on to the business she is due to have come next summer. To that end securing the future of the fourth EI A320 for winter/spring 06/07 operations must be given all the support it deserves.

Yes, it must be acknowledged too that for many years EI chose to all but ignore Cork but at last they are making amends in a big way and top marks for that. What Cork must think carefully about is how much she wants to throw in her lot with Michael O'Leary. Mr O'Leary is charismatic and volatile at the same time. Ryanair have a substantially supported operation from snn so it is my opinion that the Ryanair operation from Cork will remain a half hearted effort.

Gatwick was started by Ryanair for no other reason than to get at easyJet. Ryanair's half heartedness for Cork may be further demonstrated by the upcoming ending of the midday FR903/4 from Stansted. This is a very solidly performing service and it's dropping is bad faith by Ryanair as the closely timed Stansted and Gatwick are both performing well on most days so why give it up?

When Cork and her board and management rushed in to it's new relationship with Ryanair how prepared were they for this kind of body blow? Did Cork jump the gun too soon with Ryanair?

It is a credit to easyJet to stick with Cork so much in the new circumstances of such competition on Gatwick. Is Cork Airport and her board and management appreciative enough of the business she is receiving from easyJet? Since the Ryanair LGW operation began has easyJet been courted by Cork to the same degree as Mr O'Leary and company and if not, why not? easyJet are just as deserving of all necessary supports from Cork as Ryanair.

The runway at Cork will remain an issue and is very much a chicken and egg situation, yes. Now, governments are usually pragmatic enough when it is necessary. Now, if Minister Cullen can get involved with EI to get them to lease a pair of 757s for Cork/snn and maybe Mr Mannion can get on to his old pals at EK I am sure the lease of one/two A330s could be arranged for new ops out of Dublin as EK are due so many delieveries of new 777s etc. EI flying 757s out of Cork for new Atlantic operations quickly ends the need for extra runway? Just my tuppence worth and maybe my musings are away off the mark but, heck, we got to keep plugging away, don't we!