PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor training
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2005, 13:36
B2N2

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
I've read your post several times over.
Having trained 15 CFI's and CFII's myself I think I know what he was trying to do.
Now these are all just assumptions so bear with me.
By now you know about "realistic distractions" during flight training.
I think that is what he was trying to do.
And subsequently raise your stress levels by raising his voice aka SHOUTING

* He is right about the mixture control, don't kill the engine if you don't have to.

* I would not have continued the landing at that speed if I were you, engine controls were back to normal so a go-around was appropriate.
On the other hand a forward slip might have been usefull to slow the plane down.

* In the case of a long landing a touch and go is sometimes safer that attempting a full stop. You are still at a decent speed and do not need a lot of acceleration to become airborne again.
But that is a tough call and I wasn't there.
I've blown a tire that way once, in hindsight it would have been better to make it a touch and go and not attempt a full stop. With even more hindsight I should have abandoned the landing and done a go around. I was even flying with a CFI candidate at the time...

What were the regulations that your Chief FI broke?
Remember that you were in the airplane also and in a position to stop him, part of your job as a CFI.
It may have been part of his gameplan.
I have done similar things numerous times,eg a steep turn too close to clouds,man. above a build up area, flying right traffic patterns instead of left, attempting to bust airspace, all with a CFI applicant in the right seat, all to get them to interfere and stop me before a situation develops.
Some of them did, some of them didn't, a learning moment for them.
To me all is fair in teaching a future instructor, these are things a student will do to you, all of the time.
I will warn them that I'll be pulling tricks and still they fell for it.
Every single one of them has taken off on one magneto at some point after me doing the run-up. You need to check, check again and double check, watch their hands, don't stare out of the window.

Now, you have a fair chance of having a personality conflict with your CFI.
I have had this with CFI applicants also. You simply don't like each other.
You have to deal with it, tuck your head between your shoulders and be professional about it.
Trust me, you will have plenty of students you don't like as a person.
It's your job to train them and get them done in time.

Now for the lighter side, he could also just be a complete a-hole on a power trip because he happens to be the CHIEF (insert salute) and it's his way or the highway.
Did you talk to other students about this?
Do they have similar experiences with this guy?

Regards,