PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4 x 4 BBC TV Programme on Air Safety
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2001, 13:54
Vfrpilotpb

Senis Semper Fidelis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Greetings Ppruners,
Having just flown to and from Cyprus in a 2 month old 737 of Helios Airways, outbound I was lucky enough to sit at the row 15 which is were one of the o/wing exits are, the next one is row 16, good space enough for the average sized clumsy human to stumble out from, however on the flight back I was unlucky to be sat at row 24 which is a very (typical ) tight fit for my height 5ft9" but I would be able to get out quickley enough in the case of any problem(I think), but sat next to me at the window on row 24 was a very nice man from Liverpool, he was 6ft 3" and weighed 27 stone( 378lbs) he was so big that he was partialy on my seat squab, he was full of apologie's for his trespass onto my seat but said he had mentioned his size to the airline who had said sorry you will have to take pot luck with the seating, I can tell you this guy as nice as he was would have to sacrifice himself to let all others of in front of him first for he would not and I repeat NOT be able to get through the emergency exits on this type of A/C, I wonder if the designers ever thought of our larger humans, for it seems that subsequent generations are getting bigger all the time, personally speaking I feel that the safety of passengers should be the first and only priority in the A/C designers mind, for if it were not for Pax where would the profit come from in flights, certainly not freight.
The problem is we all get on aircraft and put up with the cattle truck conditions, how many of you reading this, write to complain about the tightness of your last seat on any A/C