PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The best pilot sunglasses
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2005, 02:45
brianh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only just noticed this thread and had a quick read.

Being in Australia and travelling Outback the topic of glare and sunnies is very topical for me. It's 42 degress here today and extreme UV.

One point that does not seem to have been stressed is the long term implications of glare. Answer = cataracts and vision deterioration. (And no laser surgery). Direct quote from a medical vision site - "Most cataracts occur as a result of ageing and long term exposure to UV light. Making sunglass wear very important as preventative measure."

Pilots are exposed to significant UV, with far less atmosphere layer protection, and the wearing of good sunglasses is vital to good vision in old age - particularly as life expectations are longer now. My father, aged 92, spent much of his life at open sporting functions without sunglasses - after several ops including large $ expenses he has peripheral vision but little else.

I wear Randolphs, purchased from the USA. Dropped and damaged my first pair, their response was top class. They have the flat sections sitting nicely under my headset and soft seats on the nose bridge. I wear them driving, flying, drinking. Only trap is the flat sides allow them to fall off if you bend over quickly - they are best worn with one of those grandfather cords arouns the neck, particularly as I have to revert to my prescription glasses about 5 minutes before landing to get my long distance vision spot on.

Main reason for this post is that anyone reading this thread who does NOT wear good sunglasses - not just in the cockpit but anywhere in the sun - needs to be aware that it can catch up in our grumpy old age.