PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2005, 02:37
Fantome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DEAR MEGAN . . . .

. . . . . your post last month. . . five or six back from this . . .in which you write that "given all the factors at play in this accident. . .(I cannot say). . . it would not have happened to me. . .", I'm sorry, but as we do not know, and are unlikely to ever know, all the factors that caused that DC10 to crash, it is simply not valid to draw that conclusion in those terms.

On the evidence, Captain Collins, despite his exhaustive preparation, undoubted competency and superior airmanship, was deceived by more than the wrong coordinates.

For there are aspects of the final report that warrant further judicial examination, regardless of the passage of time. For one thing, the sequence of events from top of descent as detailed in the time-line tabled, taken from CVR and FDR, have significant anomalies that are minutes out of whack. How did that miss the scrutineers and those highly qualified to comment, such as Gordon Vette?

(The quotes you give from Mike Mullane, et al, are spot on, and despite my quibble with your initial assertion, I support fully your sentiment that you would not want to fly with the silly prick who thinks he's infallible.)