PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe a pilot! (And I'm too damn lazy to do a search)
Old 29th Dec 2005, 10:28
jonnoboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Becoming a Commercial Pilot

I'm looking for a little adivce from those who are 'in the game'.

I have a little over 100 hrs TT and am currently hour building to get my 100hrs P1 so I can start my CPL. My goal is commercial flying, although at this stage I'm not too concerned where i end up, passengers, freight, small or large aircraft, I don't mind.

I am unsure on the best route to get there; would it be wise to get an FI rating and build my hours up that way, or in this day and age, would i be able to get some work once I have the main ratings?

Also, what ratings would put me in good stead. I presume that a MEP and IR are absolutely necessary, but would doing ATPL ground exams be of benefit, and is there anything else?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to point out that I am trying to do this concurrently with working full time, as it all needs to be funded. This makes me think of another question, which is what sort of time frame should I give to this all (I'm 25 now).

Many thanks in advance,

Jonnoboy