PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Last Tommy
Thread: The Last Tommy
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2005, 14:38
nutcracker43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vecvechookattack

The business of a state funeral for the last soldier seems to be becoming a bit of an obsession with you and I cannot quite understand why. State funerals are usually (usually) reseved for the Sovereign as head of State and it is true that few others have had them. The exceptions have been mentioned, with the exception of the fist Earl of Beaconsfield, who did not have one because his family refused it.. The others have been national figures and your comment: “ Nope. State funerals are not for servicemen. Leave well alone” tells one much since all the other recipients were servicemen, but of high rank….precedent, if that is what you are worried about, has already been created….is it that rank is what you are worried about. I think I am beginning to see the true reason for your objection…and, might one ask what the particular rule is that we all appear to be missing?

I fail to see the connection of your being “in the RN and understand the significance that such an occasion brings”. Quite a pompous statement since most of the people on this thread are, or were, serving members of HM Forces; that argument therefore is not particularly sound, or relevant.

My reasons for a “fitting tribute” is that the ‘unknown warrior’ is buried in Westminster Abby and lies with the most illustrious in the land’. His arrival in the UK was marked with a certain amount ceremony and he is a totally unknown person. Do you not see that this last man, whoever he may be, is simply a representative of the millions of men who died in the conflict and it is a fitting tribute to his passing, just as was Nelson's, and all the others.…not just because he was a brave man.

Thank you once again,

NC43