PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lost in Alcohol.....?
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2005, 05:06
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
LOC*, well done, you have passed the first stage of stabilizing what might become a career, or even a life threatening situation.

First and foremost, you should try to stop all intake of alcohol for a short trial period; just to see if you can. Your studies could be the way to take your mind off the problem.

As a young first officer, I flew with people that drank so much that they had become literally psychotic. A double miniature during the taxi in, was just the beginning of their evening's session. Somehow they fooled the management...for a while.

It caused me to storm out of a top job because my fleet manager was the one in denial, not the sick captain. It was a terrible situation that I hope can not happen these days. Not to the same extent anyway.

When I became a captain, I was able to get a flowing supply of whisky due to some strange set of circumstances. After duty, I would look forward to a tipple. Before long, that became a serious proportion of whisky v lemonade. It was a good method of winding down, but I noticed that I never felt quite well while this was going on. I knew that it had to stop.

One of the people that I love to read about is Richard Feynman, and I say about, because reading his science is a given if you want to understand certain aspects of physics. While working during a sabbatical, he noticed that he was really looking forward to getting to the bar each evening; indeed, early evening. He is quoted as saying, "I like to think...." and words to the effect that it was certain that this increased level of drinking would impair his mental abilities...Permanently.

I like a drink, but there is one certain method of not letting this take you down the dark corridor.

Plan a precise amount for a given situation, be it a wild party or the lonely hotel room that we are all too familiar with.

Strangely the party is the least dangerous, the odd binge seems to give some kind of release. No, it's the bottle of good malt, or even an hundred-proof, sitting beside you in the hotel room that is the danger. It's strange how quickly that bottle seems to empty after a while.

A precise measure for the evening is the only way, and if you exceed that amount, quit for say, a week. Too tough? You should read my seven pages of flight report on a life changing trip to Rome. Nothing, and I mean nothing, that I have ever read on pprune comes close to what happened to me that day. The man was deranged even when (fairly ) sober. it was almost certainly due to alcohol.

In the old medical establishment on Praed St sp? was a coffee table with a glass top. Under the glass was an assortment of pictures of pilot's brains. They showed various stages of damage due to drinking. Even the unskilled eye could see the difference...it was frightening.

Well, I'm sure that I've made my point, now it's your call. Good luck.