PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA633, Return to Athens - now a story!
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2005, 18:03
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bus429. It is not disapproved either! Throwing the spotlight onto several totally different incidents in one thread is just clouding the whole issue. In my 34 years paid employment as a pilot and 18,400 flying hours from turboprops to 747s, I am firmly of the opinion that the flight continuation policy is correct.

If AMF can stop playing teasing games and indulge in a serious discussion, don't underestimate the risks of fuel dumping. Pouring out 2 tonnes/minute close to the outboard engines carries separate risks of its own as well as atmospheric pollution- benzene is a carcinogen, and 100 tonnes of jet fuel has to go somewhere. It is an emergency-only procedure and not to be done lightly. The 747 on 3 is almost up there with a trijet on 3- it is a wonderful machine with incredible redundancy. The spotlight should fall instead on allowing the concept of 777s to proceed on 1 engine over the Pacific wastes for hours on end, not a 747 that would still be flyable on 2. I know which I would rather experience.