PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK standards for instructing SEP
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2005, 14:41
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think M_J you are missing the point somewhat.

I am not teaching someone to fly in a particular manner, I am teaching them to work out how to get an a/c safely from A to B using their own nous and deal with any problems that may come up.

I couldn't care less where someone puts on the carb heat or turns onto downwind as long as it is appropriate for the a/c they are flying, the conditions at the time or how a particular aerodrome operates.

That is what we should all be teaching, not any catch all, one size fits all garbage about you must do it one way and one way only.

I will always mention different techniques to people if I see them doing something unusual or different, but I would never be offended if they told me that they preferred "their" method.

At the end of it, we should be teaching people to be pilots, not just a/c drivers who give little thought to their actions or the consequences of them. They need to be able to tell FI's when to shut up if their advice isn't needed, but they need to be able to listen without getting huffy if they are deemed to need further training or that they aren't good enough.