PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Songs about Aviators
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2005, 16:07
Saab Dastard
Spoon PPRuNerist & Mad Inistrator

Received 261 Likes on 171 Posts
Thanks Barit - there is a song called:

"Amelia Earhart's Last Flight" byRed River Dave McEnery!

I also came across this:

"Original song performed at Amelia Earhart collection ceremony
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. –

Purdue University today (Thursday, 5/2) enlarged its longstanding association with Amelia Earhart by becoming the largest, most comprehensive repository of materials relating to the life, career and mysterious disappearance of the famous aviator.

During today's ceremony, an original song about Earhart was performed. The copyrighted song by Laura Clavio was arranged and accompanied by Michael Kelsey and was performed by Julie Ricciardi, all of Greater Lafayette. "

Also, looking up songs about Lindbergh, I discovered that there were hundreds, of which "Lucky Lindy" is by far the best known -

"In the two-year period following Lindbergh's flight, the U.S. Copyright Office recorded three hundred applications on Lindbergh songs. But the competition didn't fare as well as "Lucky Lindy." Thirty songs carried the same title, "Spirit of St. Louis." A dozen were just "Lindy," thereby avoiding the spelling problems which afflicted many of the others: Lindberg, Lindburg, Linberg, Linderburg, Linbergh. "Lone Eagle" came in a close third. Among the catchier titles: "Won't You Take Me to Heaven, Please, Lucky Lindy Do," "Like an Angel He Flew into Our Hearts," "Just Like a Butterfly through Sun and Rain," and "He Did It, the Thing that Couldn't Be Done." Lindbergh's tour of the United States after his triumphant return spawned a number of competitors for "Lucky Lindy," including "When Lindy Comes Home" by George M. Cohan, with which Cohan made his radio debut on the eve of New York's welcome-home ceremony".