PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK standards for instructing SEP
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2005, 11:43
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the 737 a check list is just that. A list to check and make sure you have already done everything. You do not read it and follow it like most "checklists" in GA.

With a single crew operation all checks that are done when the a/c is in motion, should be from memory. When stopped on the ground. Read it if you like. However I prefer people to know where everything should be without reference to a list.

This is an area of inconsistancy and is very much the sort of thing that should be standardised. CFI's should hold standardisation meetings with all their FI's to sort this sort of thing out. I'm going to have one in the new year as I've noticed a few differences cropping up recently.

Whirly came up with a comment about her use of carb heat in the 150 to an instructor and in my opinion it was exactly the right thing to do. If you are comfortable with how you fly and are safe, then it is not up to the FI to "re-train" you in the hours flight. If you are a danger and doing stupid things, then I will be telling you what to do, but otherwise tell them to keep schtum or explain that you do it in a certain way for a reason.

How can we stop "over eager" FI's? Not sure, but we CFI's have to take the lead in establishing what is acceptable and what isn't. This needs to be disseminated to the FI's, who can then pass it on to the PPL's they fly with.

Last edited by Say again s l o w l y; 26th Dec 2005 at 12:27.