PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK standards for instructing SEP
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2005, 11:11
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes every one has made good constructive points.

Low houred instructors have a lot to learn, to be fair to them. If they haven't been taught the various methods and a pilot comes out with them they think they are doing there job by reteaching. They don't have the experence to operate outside what they know, so to get themselves back into the comfort zone they insist its done thier way. Thus pissing said pilot off who has proberly been taught that way and passed thier test and has been fying quite happy for the last 18 months.

And the experenced instructors are sometimes the worst with 1000's of hours experence to weigh down thier moral right for the pilot to do it thier way.

The different ways to teach someone is quite rightly a dynamic thing with the instructor using thier proffessional skill to determine the best method of teaching.

The examiner experence these days doesn't really need to be that high if you look at Lasors.

Incubs has hit the nail on the head with the point i was making. The standards are for methods which are acceptable. And if the PPL does one of the documented methods to a satisfactory standard the PPL should be left alone.

I am not wanting a script on how every flight in the UK should be carried out.

JUst a document that EVERYONE can use, it shouldn't be restricted to a Instructors book or an examiners guide. Its to be refered to, and use as guidance when it comes to check rides, learning, teaching etc.

A flight with an instructor is considered akin to going to the dentist by most PPL's becuase of the inconsistancy of acceptable methods by the Instructors.

The problem with FIC instructors is they are as bad as everyone else with their own way of doing things

If you can think of a better way of breaking down this idea and getting PPL's to see the instructors as more of a reasource to be used than a pain in the arse that they have to put up with. Please stick your ideas in the pot.

For example one that used to wind me up as a PPL.

Checklists

Do we use the check list or not in the air?

Go on one check ride and you will get the instructor saying they should be done from memory and its best to have your head out the window not reading a check list.

Now in the very same school you can get.

Use the check list they wouldn't have written them down if you wern't meant to read them. Bollocks if your flying a 737 they use the checklist everytime.

I resorted to asking the instructors first. And 50% of the time got told "I am checking your flying and need to see what you do" Then sods law is I choose the oppersite method to the one they wanted. Lecture then starts which i know already into the reason why their method is the correct one.

As an ex-instructor personally I couldn't give a toss either way as long as they were done. In a SEP I was current and know I wouldn't read them but in a different type which i wasn't that familar with I would.

The standard document i would like would have on the subject.

Use of checklist while in the Air:

Methods

1) Checklist run form Memory.

2) Checklist read from checklist.

Prefered method is read from checklist but run from memory is acceptable if the check list completed as per the POH.

MJ

Last edited by mad_jock; 26th Dec 2005 at 11:44.