PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC at airports in Class G
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2005, 21:42
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 449 Likes on 238 Posts
I posted only because there does seem to be confusion in the minds of some pilots about what they can expect when talking to an ATC unit - you can sometimes tell by the inflexion in their radio calls. It's quite common to hear pilots requesting a climb or heading change in Class G airspace etc, when in fact no such permission is required.

One gripe from myself is the (thankfully rare) situation where a FIS is requested passing an ATC unit and instructions such as a large heading change or altitude are given in return. That is outside the remit of a FIS in Class G.

One such example occurred quite recently when we were flying at the correct quadrantal (IFR in marginal VMC) in busy Class G and requested a FIS from a nearby airfield which was known to have approach control but no radar. As soon as we passed our details, without any response about a service being provided, we were immediately told to change to a different level by descending because of opposite way traffic ten miles ahead, which was flying at an INcorrect quadrantal, i.e. the same level as us. We declined the instructions as the unit concerned had no radar and to do so would have put both aircraft in contravention of the instrument flight rules. We could easily have conflicted with further, un-notified traffic (showing on TCAS) and it would have been our fault. We asked for the other aircraft to be asked to change to the correct level or change track. Result? One very grumpy ATCO. (The other pilot continued seemingly oblivious that he was in contravention of the IFR quadrantal rule, confirming he was IFR/IMC when asked by ATC).