PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ballooning on landing
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2005, 19:20
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are not going to make the runway unless you are almost over the threshold which should be at 50'
Ehh in a light aircraft you have got to be joking. I will be at 1ft if your lucky depending on the runway lights and students will be expect to be under 50ft with the flap selected only when the engine can fail and it not matter a jot.

You are talking about instrument approaches or pref A machines.
I presume you want them to be full stabilised by 500ft as well.

Thats not the way we teach in the UK for SEP unless it all change in the last 4 years since my FI course.

They should be taught to pick an aiming point 1/3 of the way down the runway and use the flap when they are assured that they can make the aim point. At the point when they select full flap they should be able to glide the rest of the way and make the threshold. The flap is only used to bring the point of impact nearer the threshold.

At no point after passing the downwind end of the runway should the aircraft be in the position of not being able to perform a forced landing and not make the runway.

In fact if you are doing a CPL test doing the circuits and the examiner pulls the engine if you don't make the threshold its an instant fail. And I know a few that have had partials for getting outside the glide range while doing an approach. The examiner spots it, pulls the throttle they can't make it. The caa has another 400 quid.

MJ