PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4 x 4 BBC TV Programme on Air Safety
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2001, 00:06
Next Generation PSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Interesting that they focused on the overwing exits to sensationalise.

In most evacuations the majority of passengers evacuate using the main doors through which one can evacuate more than twice the amount of passengers.

The overwings are secondary exits.

What about the advances that have been made like the overwing exits on the B737-800 where they simply open out and up with power assist and no help from the passenger apart from pulling the handle.

I have to agree that it is a vicious circle in terms of selling alcohol on board to make up the salary - a true but bold statement
which few have made before - at least whilst being actually employed by an airline.

And what was Alan Whicker on? Looking at the screens and seeing wait automatically means you are delayed! In most cases it reads "wait in lounge" which simply means that the gate is yet to become available and does not necessarily mean a delay, come on Alan don't get drawn into the sensationalism, notice the quick editing when he asked the gate agent about the delay - obviously there probably wasn't one.

Most dangerous destinations JFK and the likes of Gambia and Mombasa, I'm sure these are challenging to you guys up front, but they hardly account for the bulk of the traffic which operates safely from the UK every day.

Passengers that say "oh I'd be pleased to go without a drinks service" yeah right, ever tried operating a charter flight without offering a bar service - It doesn't go down that well, I can tell you.

I really expected more unbiased factual information from the BBC - silly me!