PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Scathing' report on BA Maintenance practices
Old 23rd Dec 2005, 22:46
AMF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autoglide,

Don't know where you got the "hero" thing from, or that i was talking about Cessnas. You're the one who seems to think it requires heroic effort to do a job correctly.

An aquaintance of mine went through heroic efforts (probably) the day he, the other pilot, and airplane wound up in a hole. According to the findings of the investigation, the jackscrew on the horizontal stab was impoperly re-installed, something not detectable on a preflight since it backed out in-flight later on descent. Witnesses on the ground said the aircraft went through a few vertical up and down thousand-foot occilations before crashing vertically, killing everyone.

You see, that's where assumptions and guesses regarding job cards and the inconvenience of shift changes wind up. My desire, sitting in the seat, exceeds yours with regards to you getting it right.

So you can try and reduce my desire to learn more from engineering and do my job better...which in large part is knowing the airplane....to something akin to being "the problem" or an arrogant prick. Pretend I don't believe in causes like "human factors" etc when it comes to aircraft accidents if that's convenient. You'll not find anyone I've flown or involved with in 30 years of professional flying saying I'm not a firm proponent and hands-on user in dealing with potential problems on that level, CRM, or listening...all those things you apparently think you're giving me an elementary primer lesson but we use every day.

Saying "do your job" isn't the same as telling you how to do it. Flying or fixing, neither of them are rocket science. If you can't handle the focus, communication, organization, and paperwork that goes with it, then you're in the wrong business.

And by the way, how can one be a "poor professional".. The kind that a desirable system will have "necessary checks against when they make errors", as you put it? The "System" is just people after all, so who checks the checkers if they're "Poor professionals" too?

At some point, someone has to assume responsiblity for their own actions.