PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2005, 18:10
Mama Mangrove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, been hearing from more old friends now to add some balance to what I posted the other day. Seems the only one who is both dumb and fat is Gray14. Still hasn´t told us why Cameroon is the best posting in West Africa, except mentioning '33' which was also available in Nigeria in my day.
Anyway, it has been mentioned to me, as here, that the accomodation at Akpan estate makes even Areta look good. There is also of course, the BRC in Lagos, which is in a barely safe area and I'm told has had a makeover using the remnants of a few tins of drab brown paint -sounds really nice!!! This is still better than the hotel which the Aero MD says is totally suitable for Aero crews - I hear this is the one which the Yugaslav fixed-wing crews rejected many years ago. All the feedback I get is that the MD of Aero is only interested in fixed wing and seems to think that the helicopter bunch are beneath him, flying around in their noisy, simple machines while he is busy with CHCs core business of trying to run an airline. I think maybe he should try standing on his head in a corner occasionally and remember the number of times fixed wing ambitions were nearly the ending of both Aero and Schreiner. However, from what I hear, Bristow is still the better deal if you´re a helicopter pilot. At least they still know they´re a helicopter company.
We don´t get much input these days about what´s happening with Pan African. Has Escravos been overrun recently?
Not much about Caverton either. I hear their heliport is finished but still no sign of anything like their long-advertised shuttle service. About the only thing happening seems to be that the 'Yellow Peril' (literally from the rumours I hear!!) is airborne quite a lot these days. I also hear that they still can't recruit crews, except from the Far East because of their pay and conditions. Even one Portuguese engineer from Heliportugal won´t go back there any more because of the conditions. Does anyone know what´s really happening?
A Very Merry Christmas to all my ex-colleagues, in whichever companies in Africa.
Mama