PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seaplane down off Miami Beach
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2005, 01:31
vapilot2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"We've always had wings"
I keep telling myself it was sheer coincidence, random ad inserts just when I looked in. Not the work of some soulless prankster at CNN. Nor Honda tempting the gods.
Sorry, probably not a coincidence. There is such a thing in the strange and often soul-less world of advertising called targeted ads. In CNN's case when there is news regarding a particular and pre-chosen subject, a related ad is automatically broadcast. The saddest part is that Honda Motor Corp will actually pay extra for this 'premium service' and have requested the insertion.

Until someone complains to Honda (Ad execs at CNN could care less), the airing of the Honda Jet ad will be paired with aviation matters (or whatever other key words trigger the insertion) including the video of that most unfortunate loss of the Mallard and her PAX and crew will continue in and out of rotation.

Once full convergence occurs (digital television , internet access and on-demand programming in one box/system) you can expect more specific ad-revenue generating insertions like this based on what you watch, when and likely even where you surf the net.

Not a pretty picture - but it's the future in the capital driven world of advertising.