PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2005, 23:38
Flight my fire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myopia, binocular vision and Class 1

Hello to all you !

Like many of you, I've got a big passion for aviation since my childhood. Unfortunately, not gifted by Mother Nature with my eyes, I've always heard that I could never a pilot with my vision.
I'm a 30 year old pilot, with a glider pilot licence and 200 flight hours and working as a dispatcher on an airport. But my passion is flying.
I hoped a few years ago that I could go on a CPL training in the USA, my myopia was in the US standards ( - 4.25 both eyes ) even if hadn't gone on a US medical. I was not with french standards either.
And at 20, I discovered that I had a small strabismus ( unvisible when people look at me ).
I considered unnecessary to go on a US medical, spending my money just to hear the doctor at the end telling that I'm unfit because i can't see all the pictures in relief. ( stereoscopic ), just a few ones.
I discovered that since 1996, there is no longer limits for diopters. Just be corrected 20/20.

My problems are :
Myopia ( not small )
Right eye ( -5.75 ( + 0.50 of astigmatism )
Left eye ( -5.50 ( +0.25 of astigmatism )

Too much for European Class 1 admission.

Strabismus:

3 diopters prisms beside my correction. ( FAA standards have a limit at 6 diopters prisms for esophoria ).

I have already read some people concerned with a problem of strabismus.
I know that medical standards are going in a better way with vision.
Would it be possible to get a FAA Class 1, in my case. Because it shouldn't be possible to get a JAA Class 1. ( In England or in France ). They're very strict in France ( I'm French ).
I'm sorry to be so long with my story, but I would be very happy to have comments from people in the same case as me, who could get a Class 1 in the USA or in Europe.
Thank you very much for answering me.