PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BM FUEL PROBLEMS??
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2001, 14:56
Scando

Company orders: 30 minutes of extra fuel to LHR or STN due extensive traffic. I rarely carry anything less when flying to any major european airport. Why?
Have you ever been heading for BRU when the wind changes to easterly (not forecasted) and they start landing on 02, and departing on 07R? I have.
Have you ever been on your way to FRA, with only moderate winds on the ground, but wind at 2000 ft is more than 50 knots? And they increase separation? I have.
Have you ever departed for PAR or AMS, and the forecasted 5000m in mist suddenly turns out to be 300m RVR in fog, fluctuating? I have.
Ever flown into LHR when the forecasted westerly winds change to SW at 50kts+, and they start landing on 23? I have.
Ever flown to LHR where they have 2 nice, long runways, thinking an accident on one will not stop operations on the other, only to find it does. Because all the rescue services are tied up with the accident on the blocked runway. I havn't, but my colleague did.
Ever flown to OSL only to find unexpected FZRA has closed the airport completely? I have.

JAR allows us to replan enroute, committing ourselves to a landing at destination, when certain requirements are met. One of them: The ATS situation indicates that a landing can be made without excessive delay.
You are in the hold, already used your contingency fuel because of inbound delays. How do you then defend your decision to commit yourself to a landing at your destination?

When managment starts to interfere with the commanders right to carry the fuel he wants, what do you get? You get MH flying on fumes into LHR. But hey, they never crashed, so they must have conducted their flights in a safe and economical manner. Or?

I'm lucky to fly for a company where we do not carry a voyage report, or a log detailing the spesifics of the flight. We need not specify why we carry extra fuel. No teaparties at the bosses office. Precisely the way it should be.

When things suddenly go from good to bad, and from bad to worse, I'm sitting quietly sipping my coffee, looking at all the lights blinking in the sky around me, listening to the squealing mice.

It may cost 20 $, but it's worth it.