PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zero speed auto > Hover (without gaining airspeed)
Old 22nd Dec 2005, 21:12
Matthew Parsons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thomas Coupling, I know where you're going when you talk about the "time required to precipitate" but I'm not convinced.

How long is this time to precipitate and how long will you be in the VRS likely conditions? Until those questions are answered I don't think you can make your statement.

In the worst case your ROD in the auto is the highest that puts you in danger of VRS and when you apply full power you can only slow to the minimum ROD that puts you in danger of VRS. Okay, that's a bit of a stretch but pretend you tried to power out of a zero speed hover at 8000' DA, max AUM. In this odd case, how can you say there isn't time? If it's possible in this case, isn't it possible in many others? What if the pilot doesn't use enough power to vertically accelerate out of the condition?

It might make for some interesting research flying if nobody has studied this before.

As far as terminology, very little is standard. It seems that most are using auto or autorotation to indicate when autorotative forces are turning the rotor rather than an engine. Whether this is because the engine is shut down or if the clutch is not engaged is not acknowledged. The EOLs are sometimes called "full autos" or "autos to touchdown" but again, not standardized.