PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captions and one-liners - nothing to do with helicopters, just holiday time fun!
Old 21st Dec 2005, 10:09
G-CPTN
Resident insomniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm (no longer) homophobic. In defence I was born in 1944, long before such practices were 'invented'. As a young child my parents warned me against 'strange men' (though never mentioned that women might also be 'strange' - a concept that I subsequently dreamed of . . . ).
At school, sexual introverts (!) were scorned and pilloried (I still see Fruitie Wood). As a young man in the wide world, I met some beautiful young men who seemed strangely disinterested in girls, and, after hearing about an incident where one had a 'friend' (of international fame who gave him a new Alfa Romeo Spyder) I began to realise that 'something was up'. These young men seemed otherwise normal and fitted into our mixed-sex (!) pub society seemlessly. Knowing of my interest in motor racing, I was invited to join the 'benefactor' at his factory where I was given a guided tour of the workshops where the Formula 1 engines and gearboxes were built! All very gentlemanly (but remember, such activities were still illegal in them thar days).

Next I found that I admired the works of Freddie Mercury 'despite' his sexuality, and I suppose, likewise Elton John and several other (by then) openly gay geniuses (genii?)
Then I heard from my son that a school friend (female and gorgeous) was
not interested in boys, but had formed a relationship with another girl (was there no end to this activity?).

Now (after 50 years) I believe I'm fully comfortable with homosexuality (provided it's between others). I wouldn't want to watch (or even know about) male activity, but being male I always keep an open mind (and arms) for lesbians

I guess in another 50 years I'll have realised that I'm wasting my time hoping these girls will 'repent'