PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest B737 Overrun @ Chcago MDW
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2005, 18:34
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know if this has anything to do with the price of butter but I do remember an overrun accident at LAX involving a DC-10 which abandoned take-off at a fairly high speed.

The SOP in such an event was for the PNF to apply stick pressure "forward of neutral" to ensure good nosewheel contact.

On this occasion, the PNF stuffed the control column fully forward into the instrument panel (a matter of interpretation)?

The horizontal stabiliser on the DC-10 had the same wing span as a DC-3. This had the result of raising the tail to the extent that the main gear trucks were lifted off the ground initially and so the braking action was considerably less than the performance engineers had imagined.

You will be astonished to learn that the aircraft ended up in the overrun and an emergency evacuation was the result. Fortunately I believe there was only one casualty.

I therefore have found it valuable to brief my F/Os exactly where I want them to put the control column vis a vis fore and aft as well as into wind etc for every take-off or on landing when they take the control column on a rejected take-off or at 80 knots on landing.